Leichhardt Town Hall Sketch ~c. 1888, The Sydney Mail

A bar with two oil lamps

When the Municipality of Leichhardt was proclaimed in 1871, its newly elected council had nowhere proper to sit. They made do with a converted wayside inn (bar and shelving still intact), its former bottles of wine and spirits replaced by two small oil lamps. The Sydney Morning Herald called the chambers inconvenient’, insignificant and ‘of the most meagre description’. They were sitting on good ground though, the site is one of the more elevated areas of the inner west.

Five votes to four

In June 1887, Alderman Walsh motioned that £4,000 be set aside to build a proper Town Hall on the corner of Norton and Marion Streets. Ratepayers worried about the expense, and the motion just scraped through, five votes to four. Two months later, a special meeting settled on a design: a Victorian Italianate building by Pitt Street architects Drake and Walcott, chosen through an architectural competition (an unusual step for a municipal building of this size).

Work moved fast. The Mayoress, wife of Mayor Benjamin Moore, laid the foundation stone on 7 January 1888. Eight months later, the hall was formally opened by the Governor of New South Wales, Lord Carrington, with Sir Henry Parkes among the 5,000-strong crowd. A public holiday was proclaimed for the occasion. The final cost had crept to £5,600, well above the original £4,000 budget (history has a way of repeating itself), and the square central tower was still without its roof cladding on opening day. Even so, contemporaries called it one of the finest municipal buildings in the colony. Not bad for a suburb barely twenty years old.

The tower's clock didn't arrive for nearly another decade. It was unveiled on 22 June 1897, timed to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.

A bank, then a library

The hall's early life was more than ceremonial. From 1888 to 1895, a branch of the Australian Joint Stock Bank operated out of its north-western rooms. When the bank moved on, the space became a public library with its own Marion Street entrance – giving Leichhardt a reading room years before purpose-built libraries were common across Sydney's suburbs.

Leichhardt Town Hall c. 1920, J.G. Park

Italian before the Italians

Then there's the name on the tin. Drake and Walcott's Victorian Italianate style was borrowed from Renaissance palazzo architecture, popular across the British Empire for its civic gravitas. It had nothing to do with the Italian heritage in the suburb – very few lived in Leichhardt in 1888. But in the 1950s and '60s, postwar migrants settled around Norton Street and built what's now formally known as Little Italy. The hall's arches and pediments had been sitting on that corner for sixty years, waiting for a community that would make the style feel like a local choice rather than an imperial one.

Outlasting its own council

For 128 years, it was the seat of Leichhardt's local government, hosting council meetings and civic functions through two world wars and the demographic shifts that followed. That chapter closed in 2016, when Leichhardt Municipal Council was amalgamated into the Inner West Council. The building outlasted the institution that built it.

Leichhardt Town Hall as it stands today

Today it stands as we know it: the heritage-listed events venue, ornate ceilings hosting concerts rather than council debates. A fitting turn for a building born out of civic embarrassment – the insignificant inn on the corner gave way to a hall grand enough to still be turning heads over a century later.

Sources

Image 1: The Sydney Mail, c. 1888 -https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/161890878

Keep Reading